MICS Travel Award Opportunities
SMI is pleased to provide young investigators opportunities to support their travel to MICS 2020. Please select from the opportunities below.
Young Investigator Travel Award
Travel awards are available to select abstract presenters chosen for presentation at the meeting. The quantity and monetary amounts of awards granted is dependent upon available funds and is based upon several factors including geographic location, placement of abstract within the SMI program and funds available. Awards are generally $500-$1500 and can be used for any meeting-related expenses, including registration. The monetary value of the award may change depending on whether the recipient is traveling internationally. A financial hardship stipulation will be added to the SMI membership requirement, which will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Awards will be offered in an amount capped at a certain number, so organizers are not compelled to give an award to mediocre science based solely on applicant criteria. Travel award winners must submit expense vouchers and itemized receipts for all claimed expenses before the deadline, approximately four weeks after the close of the meeting.
To be considered for this award, applicants must:
- Be 40 years or under with the rank of Assistant Professor or below
- Submit an application and a letter of reference
- Submit an abstract to MICS 2020
- Be a member of SMI
Childcare Travel Award
SMI is accepting applications for travel award support to help offset the cost of childcare, to assist scientists with dependent children to attend the 2019 ICMI meeting.
To apply, an applicant must be a SMI member (trainee or regular) and submit an abstract to MICS 2020. Grants will be in form of reimbursement of qualified, documented expenses up to the awarded limit of $500. You may apply for both a childcare travel award and a Young Investigator Travel Award. If both parents are SMI members and both are attending the meeting, only one parent may apply. Priority will be given to trainees.
Awards may be used for any the following:
- Home-based childcare expenses that are incurred because of the SMI member’s ICMI attendance. The funds cannot be applied to regular childcare expenses.
- Distance travel of a childcare provider to your home to care for your child(ren) while you are attending ICMI.
- Travel of a childcare provider to the ICMI meeting with you to care for your child(ren).
- Distance travel of your child(ren) to the location of a relative or other childcare provider.
- Funds may not be used for regular ongoing childcare expenses, expenses related to the parent attending MICS (registration, hotel, etc.), food, entertainment, or other non-approved expenses
Please note that childcare is not provided on site at MICS and SMI does not provide or recommend child care providers. SMI does not assume responsibility or liability for childcare services and it is the responsibility of the parent to thoroughly research all childcare providers. If your needs change between submitting this application and attending the meeting you will need to notify SMI to explain the changes. SMI will evaluate the request and determine if you are still eligible for the award.