Young Investigator Travel Awards
Young Investigator Travel Awards are available exclusively to Society for Mucosal Immunology (SMI) members and can be applied for as part of the abstract submission process. Travel award applicants must be SMI members 40 years of age or younger with the rank of Assistant Professor or below, and must submit the following with their abstract:
- A short statement outlining why they wish to attend the conference and how they would benefit from participating in the meeting
- A letter of reference on institutional letterhead indicating their involvement in the field of mucosal immunology from one of the following: Dean; Department Chair; Division Chief; or Advisor/Supervisor
Members selected for this award will present their research at MICS 2020 and will receive $1000 each towards travel expenses including lodging, transportation and dining.
The number and amount of the awards is based upon several factors including the applicant’s stated reason for wishing to attend the congress, the applicant’s geographic location, the applicant’s letter of reference and the availability of funds.
Childcare Travel Awards
The Society for Mucosal Immunology is accepting applications for travel award support to help offset the cost of childcare, to assist scientists with dependent children to attend the 2020 MICS meeting.
To apply, an applicant must be a SMI member (trainee or regular) and have submitted an abstract for MICS 2020. Applicants will be notified by March 31, 2020 on the outcome of their application. Grants will be in form of reimbursement of qualified, documented expenses up to the awarded limit of $500. You may apply for both a childcare travel award and a regular travel award (that supports the SMI member’s travel). If both parents are SMI members and both are attending the meeting, only one parent may apply. Priority will be given to trainees.
Awards may be used for any the following:
- Home-based childcare expenses that are incurred because of the SMI member’s ICMI attendance. The funds cannot be applied to regular childcare expenses.
- Distance travel of a childcare provider to your home to care for your child(ren) while you are attending ICMI or MICS.
- Travel of a childcare provider to the ICMI or MICS meeting with you to care for your child(ren).
- Distance travel of your child(ren) to the location of a relative or other childcare provider
Funds may not be used for regular ongoing childcare expenses, expenses related to the parent attending MICS 2020 (registration, hotel, etc.), food, entertainment, or other non-approved expenses. Please note that childcare is not provided on site at MICS 2020 and SMI does not provide or recommend child care providers. SMI does not assume responsibility or liability for childcare services and it is the responsibility of the parent to thoroughly research all childcare providers. If your needs change between submitting this application and attending the meeting you will need to notify SMI to explain the changes. SMI will evaluate the request and determine if you are still eligible for the award.